Special Event Permits

Special event permits regulate events on the city's public streets and public property to protect the public's health, safety, and welfare, and are issued for parades, processions, and other assemblies occurring on public property. Chapter 12.06 of the Bainbridge Island Municipal Code specifies the guidelines for issuing special event permits.  
Do You Need a Special Event Permit?
A special event is any parade, march, ceremony, show, exhibition, pageant or procession of any kind, or any similar display or gathering, in or upon any street, park or other public place in the city, which would have a direct impact on traffic flow or congestion or the public’s ability to use public streets, parks or other public places, or which would significantly impact the need for city-provided emergency services.  Examples of special events are races, runs, walks, fairs, block parties, fundraisers, festivals or community celebrations, and any private events held on public (City-owned) property.

• If your event includes serving or selling alcohol, please attach your Washington State Liquor Control Board permit.
• If your event includes food service, you must contact Kitsap Public Health District for their authorization. A copy of your Public Health authorization must be attached to your application.

The permit application fee is $25 and must be paid at the time of submission.

Please note that there may be other costs associated with the special event. These costs may include costs for security services, right-of-way permits, sanitation services, and/or additional permits required by the Bainbridge Island Fire Department, Washington State Liquor Control Board and Kitsap Public Health District.

The event organizer must possess or obtain comprehensive general liability insurance naming the City as Additional Insured and in a combined single limit of at least $1,000,000 and filed with the Police Department at least 5 days prior to the proposed event.

How to Apply
Please mail or deliver a completed Special Event Permit Application to the BIPD with applicable fees enclosed.  We'll give you a call if we have questions or need more information.