The City of Bainbridge Island will begin a safety improvement project later this month on Olympic Drive (the street between the ferry terminal and the intersection of Winslow Way and State Route 305) that is designed to improve safety for all users and to improve efficiency for loading and unloading of all ferry passengers.
We know that the Seattle-Bainbridge ferry route carries an average of 18,000 riders a day, including bus riders, visitors, drivers, pedestrians and cyclists, and we are committed to keeping you moving during construction and ask for your assistance.
When the project is complete, there will be separated lanes for bicyclists, vehicles, and pedestrians along Olympic Drive from the intersection of Winslow Way and SR 305 to Harborview Drive.
- Pedestrians: Pedestrians will experience a safer commute with wider sidewalks, separated from vehicle traffic, to better accommodate wheelchairs, strollers, etc. and to keep people out of the street.
- Bicyclists: There will be lanes for bicyclists only and “bike boxes” at intersections to separate bicycles from motor vehicles.
- Drivers: The project will improve driver safety by separating bicycles and pedestrians from traffic. Currently, when bicyclists unload from the ferry, they mix with cars and motorcycles, or some bicyclists use the sidewalk.
Please see the City’s Olympic Drive Non-motorized Improvements webpage for more details of the project.
We anticipate on Monday, April 15, a contractor for the City of Bainbridge Island will begin construction on Olympic Drive. At times, this work will require some lane closures. During the morning and afternoon peak hours and weekends, however, traffic lanes will remain open to minimize the impact on ferry commuters who travel by car. It is anticipated the project will be complete in August 2019.
Pedestrians: During the initial phases of construction, the sidewalk on the west side of Olympic Drive (near Waypoint Park) will be closed. As the work progresses, it is anticipated that sidewalks on both sides of Olympic Drive will need to close for short durations. Please refer to regular updates for detour information (see below for update notifications).
Drivers: During peak hours, drivers should expect some delays but no lane closures.
Sign up to receive updates about the project and any construction impacts:
- Nixle: This free service is generally used for emergency notifications but due to the amount of ferry users, we will use Nixle messages to inform people of any construction impacts.
- Notify Me:
- Select Olympic Drive NM Improvements
- Select Traffic Notifications
Staff will begin project outreach on the afternoon of Wednesday, April 10 on the Seattle-Bainbridge ferry route. Please stop by our table (near the galley) during your commute to learn more. There are more outreach activities scheduled throughout the month
We will continue to provide updates as we become aware of detours or closures that may impact ferry passengers and residents.
Businesses along Olympic Drive will remain open during construction.
If you have any questions, please contact Public Works Engineering at 206-842-2016 or email@example.com.